Thoughts on Amsterdam...

So, my best friend Dawn is married to a Dutchman. She is Boo's Godmother and one of my most trusted confidantes. When it became clear that the Dutchman was a keeper, my friend moved with him to The Netherlands. This weekend, we went to visit her in Amsterdam; just my daughter and I.

Observations:

There is nothing like seeing old friends. I can hardly define it, but I know it when I see it.

Amsterdam street style is one I covet. I think there are the same characteristics as Copenhagen street style so I feel qualified in my half-Danish-ness to comment. The girls and women look fit and healthy; everyone rides bikes. They look wholesome and fresh; not too much make-up, hair pulled back. There is nonchalance but at the same time there is an attention to detail that I really admire. Weather- appropriate clothes that are stylish and practical. Lots of blondes. Windswept but in a good way. Skinny jeans and cool, quirky flat boots, artfully draped scarves and short, neat leather jackets. Urban but not harsh.

via the sartorialist
We did a bike tour, where for three hours, in November sunshine, we followed our very cool and young guide around the 'hidden gems' of Amsterdam. Mingling with the traffic like locals, then parking our bikes, we went to an organic street market where the aforementioned healthy-looking Dutch carried armfuls of flowers and fresh produce. We passed numerous houses where neighbours sat on front steps in the sun, sharing a coffee and cake. It seemed like such an idyllic city scene. A village within a city.

We made it an homage to 'The Fault in Our Stars' bench, which Boo insisted we visit four times in a day with the express intention of taking selfies. I haven't even seen the film due to the possibility of emotional breakdown (she cried for an hour after leaving the cinema). But the bench was nice and I am sure that the people living in the house are behind it are simply delighted that their view is spotted with hoards of teenage girls. ;-)


I had been to Amsterdam before we stayed away from the tourist attractions and just mooched around watching the world go by. And eating apple pie.

I had this funny five minutes in a shoe shop where all they sold were brogues and Chelsea boots in amazing different colours. I felt like there was no way I could leave that shop without owning some of those boots. So reader, I bought some.

We travelled out of the city to my friend's beautiful house; a traditional Dutch barn converted with more white painted floors than I am used to seeing. Swoon. It was so pretty I have to (shamefacedly) admit that I returned to my farmhouse last night and felt it paled in comparison. However I remain fixed on the beauty of white-painted everything.

It's such a lovely place; the village she lives in is known for walking and mountain biking and so was full of healthy-looking Dutch in cycling outfits! I did come away wondering quite why some of my neighbours in Europe get it so right and sometimes I look at my own countrymen and think we get it slightly wrong. The whole premise of life there is based on goodness; good food, good friends, good family. There was a strong sense of community. And even a village windmill. Dutch perfection!

So home now - to a lot of rain and the start of a new month. The late onset of winter weather has been a blessing but I think this is it now.


Share on :
Thoughts on Amsterdam...
Thoughts on Amsterdam...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5