I know it's summer when...

We are getting into June. The 'moody teenager' that is British weather; one minute perfectly happy and sunny, the next clouds and a deluge for no apparent reason. It makes me think what is summer to me? I read a lot of blogs from all over the world and you'd think summer would represent a pretty coherent group of things to people, but not always.

To me, I know it's summer when we put bunting in the garden between the apple trees...


When we make fresh fruit pavlova most weekends...


When I spend a lot of time in these chairs, watching the Boos do 'shows' or tennis practice or space-hopper challenges...


I know it's summer when I have bare feet pretty much all the time.

I know it's summer when the biblical hayfever that I am afflicted with takes hold and no matter what I do I can not touch my eyes, under any circumstances. Uninterrupted nights' sleep becomes a distant memory. I imagine puffs of pollen literally wafting around my bedroom....

I know it's summer when my legs get really brown and every other part of me is not. I look like I have been dipped feet first...

I know it's summer when the Red Arrows fly over our house...for summer events like Glorious Goodwood...


I know it's summer when we can go to bed at 10pm and it's still not fully dark...a direct childhood memory all rolled up in one?  Sleeping when it's light...

I know it's summer when I want to buy dress after dress (all linen or floaty cotton), open-toed sandals, flip-flops; everything soft and easy. As close to undress as one can be when dressed...

I know it's summer when posies from the garden are table tops and shelves...


I know it's summer when we walk in open fields (hayfever anyone?)...


I know it's summer when we go to summer weddings...this was at my friend E's wedding about five years back...


I know it's summer when I can lie under the trees in the garden and just watch them sway...


And if it all seems perfection, I also know it's summer when my ironing pile looks like this, as staying inside to iron seems criminal...

All photos by me...
Share on :
I know it's summer when...
I know it's summer when...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5