To wear?

We all know I can spend a disproportionate amount of time thinking about clothes, but recently my pondering of outfits has taken on a new dimension. Various things have influenced this. My son's school for example is a veritable hotbed of yummy mummies - with means - and some of them look beyond fantastic. The school run has become a whole different thing when considered sartorially. I'm also nudging closer to 40 - and this has led me to reconsider the way I dress.


My daughter reached 12 and seemed to simultaneously start to dress in the coolest way; she dresses how I wish I would have dressed at her age (and she has the hair, confidence and conviction that I lacked!). It's now quite sobering: your daughter sporting the outfit choices that you would like to wear but are, strictly speaking, too old for. Time to reassess.

And who am I to speak? I can see from the exploits of fashion bloggers (like my friend Amanda who frankly should be working for one of the glossy magazines with her good taste) that there can be endless commentary on this matter. And similarly does it all really matter?! Who cares what we wear? Moreover who cares that I care what I wear?! Well...me!

My conclusions, the net which have been developed in consultation with friends, are:

Be cautious with slogans - what is ironic on a 25 year old looks missed-the-point in middle age.
Embrace natural fibres - unless it is wool, cotton, linen, denim or silk I steer clear. Polyester, no thanks.
Love the accessories - I'd rather spend my hard-earned money on one semi-precious necklace I love, than five cheap, beady ones.
Everything doesn't have to match.
Be careful of twinsets.
Invest in good versions of things - it's taken me a long time to grasp this. Did I mention this already?!
There is a reason why Rayban have been making sunglasses since 1937. They rock. On everyone.
Skinny jeans are the answer. RIP the bootleg.
Comparison to others strips away the joy of having one's own style. I'm gonna do my thing.
Ra-ra skirts, overly shimmery fabrics, sequins in the daytime - all of these are now the domain of my daughter; may she wear them well.


Share on :
To wear?
To wear?
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5