Green shoots...

As Easter is so late this year it feels like we are headlong into Spring already. I can recall Easter weekends where we wore ski coats on our country walk. Yesterday we wore t-shirts. Good Friday was spent with good friends, a pub lunch by the water and an idle walk home, with the dogs along the canal.

via elsa may
I wanted to say thank you to all the kind people who commented in response to my last post. It's always slightly awkward to bring attention to a negative comment; we should learn to take criticism with stoicism. However speaking up and the support I got made me feel better.

I have watched this video 'A Portrait of Lotte' a few times now (along with nearly 9 million other people at time of writing) and each time the part where she goes from child to young woman makes me cry. Same effect on my husband when he watched it. We couldn't figure out why, but put it down to the poignancy of having a daughter who is growing up and how simultaneously proud and nostalgic it makes you feel as you see the passing of time. Just lovely. And her brother's one is here.

I am still wearing my fit bit - over six months now. It has become part of my daily life. I just changed the wrist band to tangerine for summer! Hah. Knowing how many steps you take a day is the best way I have ever encountered of driving active behaviour. If I only walk 5000 steps (half a daily target) I feel like I need to get out of my seat and go somewhere. That's got to be good.

Our building work has gathered pace and the outside of our house is now completely dug up. No pretty Easter garden of daffodils for us! We are getting much-needed new drains and flood protection. Necessary but dull work as far as I am concerned. I am wanting the 'styling' phase...but that is a long way off!

Last night we had a young guy come to our door, late, which is unusual where we live (rural and generally accessed by car). He was trying to get to a girl's house about 8/9 miles away and was walking. He didn't know the way and was asking if he was going in the right direction. My husband talked to him outside for about ten minutes and invited him in, we charged his phone for him, ordered a taxi and paid for him to get to the destination. He was uncomfortable and clearly a little rattled and upset. So - we reassured him it was fine, sent him on his way and hoped that our the random act of kindness was the right thing to do. I've thought about it and how if my kids, when they are grown up, got themselves in a predicament where they had no money and no phone, would a stranger help them out? I get it's a double-edged sword and to some degree I was unsure how much we should have helped him. Is that a comment on my attitudes or is that a product of modern society where distrust and scepticism rule? Who knows?! But I hope he's OK.

Have a great Easter weekend...

via french vouguettes

Share on :
Green shoots...
Green shoots...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5