About love...

It's funny how life goes. Six months ago, my husband was working every hour God sent, coming home rarely and when he did, in a completely stressed state. Now, he is 'in between jobs' and has had a few months off. The change to our life has been incredible, notable, ridiculously good. I've learnt that sometimes life lessons happen without warning and how you choose to react is the most important thing. Life experience makes you more resilient; more able to judge that all things are temporary. More able to make out the good from the bad. What we thought was a bad thing has turned out to be a miraculous thing; a lifeline no less.

via better than fine
Meanwhile, I look back on decisions we made in our twenties and am staggered how short-sighted we were! There is something about being that age, with everything is ahead of you, positively rushing to leave your childhood behind and become adult. We took on responsibilities like they were tokens to collect in a computer game. But of course over time, those very tokens took on a weighty character and now, every once in a while we have to remind ourselves not to take life so seriously.

Whilst we are not exactly old now, we have been together, side by side, for a long time, given that I was just 18 when we became a couple. I see that in marriage, you have to look to your side every now and then and ask if that person is still the one. What I have enjoyed about this downtime we are experiencing is that I've looked to my side and I love that he's still there. I love that twenty year old songs remind me of him as much as his latest download song, circa 2012. I love that we look largely the same as we did the day we met, just with some deeper laughter lines, slightly less hair (him) and a slightly larger bottom (me). I love that we still laugh. A lot. I love that life has dealt us cards that have tested us, but not broken us.


I read a blog where the (rather gifted) writer Megan often hypothesises about what her future husband and/or family life will be like; in particular a post about a kitchen table that heaved under the weight of a life lived. I read her words and think: I am living this life; I am there. If I had had a crystal ball, would I have chosen the life I have now? Would I have even recognised myself twenty years fast forward? Impossible to say, but as marriages creak and sometimes fail around us I just feel grateful that I made that choice and that it stuck. I'd like to think this one is a keeper :-)


Share on :
About love...
About love...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5