Do less, be more...

I'm keen on life lessons. I have this distinct feeling that I slumbered through my twenties not really  aware of much, other than being at the front of the rat race. Must get the career. Must have the house. Must get married. Must have babies. I gave startlingly little credence to events as they happened around me, even to the extent that when major news stories from the 1990's are aired, I struggle to even recall them occurring. I was in that twenties zone; it was all about acquiring life.

via sarah klassen
In my thirties, where I still am, I stopped to look around and take a breath. Life happened at an alternative pace; largely dictated by having children. I now simply can not remember a life where at 7pm I was not dealing with either kid's bath or bed or both. Even after a decade, I still secretly reel at being out and about of an evening, so used am I to being home at that time.

Up until last year, I had worked since I graduated University, bar two spells of maternity leave. I had always been earnest about my work, taking the corporate climb very seriously. Last summer it had become altogether too serious and so I took some time off. Six months of much-needed rest and navel-gazing and I learnt more about myself than I had in the previous ten years amalgamated. I learnt to slow down, to trust my instincts and from that I learnt to follow my heart and start a new business.

At the same time, I did carry on with the corporate climb, but with a much, much slower pace. I have done the same role for many years and I have become an expert in my field. I look now at new hires in their twenties, joining my house-hold name corporation and see myself, years ago. What goes around really does come around!

So I let those newbies develop their expertise, learn their trade and I sit back. I made a conscious decision at the start of this year to do less, but to be more. I wasn't sure it would actually work, it seemed like a gamble after so many years of striving. I just worked my hours; I didn't do extra. I didn't offer to get involved in projects that I knew would eat into my time outside of work. I asserted my opinion and didn't apologise for doing so. I took time out for running and circuit training; putting fitness above catching up on email. I just got much leaner in the way I worked and what I did. It turns out it was the best thing I could have done.

The net result? I am more focused than I have been for years and I have been able to grow L'Apothecary in my own time. It's all about balance; I just didn't realise that to get it, you have to do less, not more...what a useful life lesson.

Share on :
Do less, be more...
Do less, be more...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5