Musings on opportunity and beauty...

Sometimes I am torn about what to write; I have inhibitions about who reads and what they think. I worry about presenting a reality here that is somehow not the reality. As no one's life looks like Pinterest, no matter what they may suggest!

However, I write this a few days into the new school term. Both of my children have surprised and delighted me with their tenacity and bravery at stepping out and doing something new. It is such early days but seeing them go off this week has been heart-warming for me; one of those rare moments of parenthood when you feel you've prepared them well. Of course I can't take all the credit, but I do think that the effort we have put in now shows through. With children, to a point, you get back what you put in. It doesn't come for free, so I am glad that the work and worry and toil to acquire the educational opportunities that they have has, at least this week, seemed worthwhile.

Meanwhile I am at home, very much dwelling on my home. The prospect of a few months off work has triggered the need to create the perfect home environment. I feel like I have one chance at this as before I know it I will be back to the corporate grindstone. I genuinely want my whole house to look like this:

via thursday night dinner
Minimal. Utility. Linen-covered. White.

An almost overwhelming urge to get clear everything away so that only the simple and the beautiful remain. And talking of beauty; it's a topic I have mused about a lot recently.

Having spent time observing 'people like us' on holiday, I can conclude there is a very particular type of beauty when women near 40. There is something of a 'crossing over' that I can sense as I approach my 39th year. I wouldn't however describe it as a decline; more of a shift, an acknowledgement that time has passed and a different beauty is evident. I am fascinated by the concept of ageing beautifully and gracefully.

It makes me aspire to be natural and the only way I can think of to achieve that is to make everything simple. Wardrobe choices are increasingly about the quality of the fabric, the style and elegance, instead of the latest fashion. The thing is: when you see women who have it, you know it - but it remains an elusive thing to acquire! Ever hopeful...

via tire swings and summer dreams
Share on :
Musings on opportunity and beauty...
Musings on opportunity and beauty...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5