'The rules' and how girls learn to dress...

I have to admit I consider it an anthropological study to look at what women wear. That set of outfit choices as they got up this morning; what generated it and what it resulted in. I find myself making assessments as soon as I meet people, which sounds judgemental. It's not; I am simply interested in the sheer variety. Having a daughter has increased this instinct as the same applies every time she gets dressed. She's at an early age so I can hardly have a view on what she wears other than: is it appropriate or not? I have decided that I have a thing about inappropriate. Yet with young girls' clothes - there is so much that is inappropriate. Why is that?

via elsa may

So we go back to basics - her wardrobe is full of Breton stripes and liberty-esque prints, topped off with red Converse. Can't go wrong with Converse...

A friend overheard me referring to the 'dressing rules' to my daughter and inside I cringed at my prescriptiveness. Don't wear sequins in the day time. Only wear sports clothes when doing sport. Wear natural fibres. Less is more. Shouldn't I be one of those mothers who declare that their daughter can wear whatever they like? 'Express yourself, let your imagination run free'. Yet in real life that attitude doesn't seem to be a keeper. So I have become the custodian of the outfit, rightly or wrongly!

When I was growing up, the single most pervasive message my Mum gave me (after all it's mothers who teach daughters how to dress, surely?) was to be different. To stand out. I lived in fear of being the same as all the other children, although looking back, my circumspect 11-year-old-self did not carry off any outlandish outfit choices. One wonders what Olivia Palermo's mother taught her?! I am intrigued to know...

I fear it is fickle to suggest that clothes matter this much and of course, in all reality, they don't. They are just the outward message and it's our missive to get beyond that and get to know people for their inner qualities. But I still do love the art of dressing, I can't help myself.

via elsa may

Share on :
'The rules' and how girls learn to dress...
'The rules' and how girls learn to dress...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5