Bite your lip...

I've held a long established association that silk is something that grown ups wear. I don't know what furnished this; possibly memories of my Mum wearing silk blouses to work in the 1980's. So until now silk has not really factored in my kiddy-stained wardrobe. But then I became aware of Equipment blouses; thank you Pinterest (I have yet to invest the £200+ price tag for one though). I did start to notice and wear silk things and realise that silk is not just for grown ups! Or maybe this is a sign that I am now grown up?! As it's a natural fibre it behaves the same as linen or cotton, other than when you splatter it with grease or oil and then it's a sad day. But it washes, it drapes, it looks and feels lovely. It's my best new thing. No point saving silk for best; when your life is a series of home-school-home related trips, I figure seize the day and wear it.


I went to power yoga with my sister in law last night. Having done yoga for a while now, I was quietly confident that I would be able to do it, but OH MY GOD it was hard! And invigorating. And just generally pretty awesome. It astounds me that yoga has the capacity to be all things; both calm and energetic. I managed poses I didn't know I could do and at the end, with a lavender bag covering my eyes and so ridiculously hot and agile, I lay there thinking: yes this is the answer.


One thing about writing this blog is that it affords me the opportunity to go back and look at what I was thinking a month ago or six months ago or a year ago. I love doing that and find that: i) I write about the same preoccupations and ii) I do gradually learn to change but it's slow and iii) I shop too much. Hmmmmm....


I am thinking a lot about writing. I just read 'How to be a Woman' by Caitlin Moran. As an aside, my friend Simone and I have this text-based book club thing going on where she sends me ideas of things I should read and I do the same. I quite like that. So this book - it was released to great furore a few years ago so I am late, but I did really enjoy it. It's a feminist trope but mainly her writing in places is just so visceral and literal. Her description of having her daughters in particular was so accurate and real. I greatly admire that skill in writing to allow the reader to empathise, but at the same time experience something fresh. So hard to achieve; making words simultaneously recognisable but also new. I think about this sentiment and how I would love to write something more substantial than the words here, but how no matter how much I think about it, it seems to not happen. Is this because I don't want it enough? Or that I am not good enough? Or simply that it's hard and I am not in the place right now to do 'hard'? Interesting...


Otherwise life is a whirl of nearing-the-end-of-term stuff, dog walks, new gold sandals, hay fever management (every year it gets me), perfecting our Iggy Azelea rap in the car to school and until today, waiting for my passport to materialise. It now has! Hurrah. Faith restored in the institution. Do dat do dat.

Share on :
Bite your lip...
Bite your lip...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5