Me and Dubai...

I can admit had always considered Dubai with a smidge of disdain. It's easy to dismiss it as a place that is false or man-made; lacking in beauty or depth. And to be fair, when you arrive there and see its grand scale - Lego-style skyscrapers, a metropolis with desert and beach either side, it is unlike anywhere we would normally go to. However, I have to say: I really liked it! Staying with family was great - their lovely, airy villa just on the outskirts of the city in a suburb. Seeing my nephews and new niece growing up. Their Daddy working hard. Daily trips to the beach club, where every hour they came with complimentary coconut ice to cool your palate. Hints of rich, Arabic culture - the 'call to prayer' sounding out was haunting. The heat was unrelenting but we found it manageable with the air-con and the pool nearby. The Gulf was so unbelievably clear. The Western influence so pervasive that frankly, at times it felt like we were in any American state; driving down a freeway, in the mall, watching the fountains at dusk by the Burj Khalifa - could have been Las Vegas or another large city in the States.

via patterson maker
As a family holiday in the sun, it was like a tonic. We were hosted by my all-singing, all-dancing intrepid sister-in-law who manages to deftly oversee three young children whilst laying on a dinner parties in the evening, effortlessly. One of those people with boundless energy - much like my husband - I can see the energy vibe is strong in their gene pool.

Being in the heat of Dubai had this effect on me: in the air conditioning, wanting to open the doors to our bedroom balcony and just breath in the heat. I've been heat-deprived. Feeling heat on your skin;  this is what it is all about. It made me want to wear a silk maxi dress after dark and mooch about sipping majitos. It gave me empathy for a religion that I don't understand, simply for lack of exposure to it. The mosques were beautiful buildings, glistening in the sun. It made me see that going East is every bit as interesting as going West. It reminded me that however far from home you can go you find that family is family, no matter what.

via patterson maker
But most of all - it was a break from our countryside home - which I love but which can feel like a burden of housework and sameness. I love it but I also like the contrast to it.

I hardly thought about work, or oils or anything really.

You've left me comments waiting for the next instalment and I worry now I have over-egged it; there are a couple of bits to sort out but next week I'll spill the beans. Have a great weekend :-)


Share on :
Me and Dubai...
Me and Dubai...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5