Familiarity...

Sometimes my thoughts are like a pendulum swinging and when left unchecked I can get so used to the motion it gets dizzying. Cycling too fast. I need to stop and get re-started with a new rhythm. Sometimes I just can't get the impetus for this myself and I need help. That's where my best friends come in. One of my oldest friends, Dawn came to stay; she lives in Holland now so we don't get to see each other more than a few times a year. But when we do she has the uncanny knack of stopping the pendulum swing in me and instilling calm. I worry that I don't reciprocate this favour for her - she's not made the same way as me and doesn't need it - but maybe that is why we work so well together?

via laluna
She can tell simply from the tone of my voice whether something is up. She can cut through all of my hyperbole (and there's lots) and get to the core issue. She dispenses advice and reassures. I am forever indebted to her and as we walked the pup in November sunshine yesterday (she, in borrowed Wellies and my Barbour - she never, ever, ever brings appropriate footwear) I felt so grateful for her in my life. Old friends truly are a tonic. We met when we were young and open to life; not yet formed. Now we are at mid-life and we are taking stock of the last twenty years.

Along with the weighty issues, we also covered all the frippery that we both still subscribe to. Appropriate dressing (above the knee or below?), the uses for fancy shoes in our lives (I say wear them anyway), sequins in the daytime (I may be reverting my original view on this to YES), the spiralling cost of clothes at our favourite shop (we're weathering that storm), the benefits of high-waisted jeans (comfort) and so on.

She has settled me down. Friendship is everything.

via laluna
As Autumn turns to Winter with the first frost this morning, I am already starting to succumb to that instinct to snuggle up and stay in. I feel tired and have been fighting off a bug for weeks. Elderflower immunity syrup from the berries that I foraged from the field?! Yes please.

This weekend there is the usual extravaganza of sport fixtures; my son's first rugby game representing his school - this is a big deal in our house. My husband has been a disciple at the church of rugby his whole life and shall we just say that the apple doesn't fall far from the tree?

We have adjusted to the new space that we have in our home; this stage of building is finished, most possessions has been reassigned a place. We got a new family room which is cosy and small, so we have abandoned the old one in favour. The flow of the house has changed; two into one. We still have two front doors and two staircases (bizarre - the children arrive in my kitchen from two different directions) and it seems strange to think that we ever had tenants for as long as we did. It's lovely though to spread out and we can now better accommodate Boo and her friends and take overnight guests with more ease.

And so finally I wanted to share the best comment I have had on the blog for a long time:
'Just so you know.....your 40's will be the best years of your life ~'

Love that.
via laluna

Share on :
Familiarity...
Familiarity...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5