Country life...

I keep reading articles in Sunday papers about 'country life', specifically about moving out of the city and into the country. Now I have been a country girl all my life; for me the city has always been a place I have visited and never lived in. As a child a day trip to London meant the National Gallery or Harrods, taking in the bustle and then returning home watching the buildings fade into fields as the train sped along.

via bippity boppity boo
I find these articles of country life slightly amusing, as they describe village life and 'the country wardrobe' always alluding to ways there can be a 'nod to fashion' in amongst practical mud-strewn clothes. Now I am fully ensconced in my country life. My farmhouse is surrounded by fields, I curse the summer traffic when city dwellers descend and hit the beach. The puppy is more used to walking off the lead than on. My children can tell the difference between hawthorn and cow parsley. Likewise flint stone and chalk. I watch the weather all the time; it has a direct bearing on life in a way I can only presume it doesn't in the city. I have a stereotype of city life that it means being inside more - is that true? I buy vegetables in season and frequent farm stores. I wear wellies most days. Cut roses from my garden adorn table-tops and shelves in my house. Up until the flood, I drove and dare I say needed a 4x4 (oh how I miss my car - will it ever be fixed??!)

via vanessa arbuthnott
I do wonder though, what is this country life? Am I missing out? Does my reluctance to try the city version of life mean I am not brave? Sometimes it feels like the country life is all too easy and sedate...is the lure of city life its exuberance and energy? Not that the opportunity to reverse things is presenting itself but it's something just to wonder about, isn't it?!

via bippity boppity boo
Share on :
Country life...
Country life...
Reviewed by axiata
Published :
Rating : 4.5